Thursday, November 11, 2004

BAd situation...

Today, I was depressed for half an hour at work. Becos I did not handle a situation well enuff. 2 groups of people, a group of 6 and a group of 12....the 6s came in first and I gave them the big seats....but turn out that the 12 who came in din have the big seats.....the BAD situation occurs when first, was a miss communication. AH lan my colleague who doesn’t understand English do not understand what the 12s want unknowingly allows them to alter the restaurant sitting formation to join the tables....when realise something was not right, she runs to me and tell me....I step in and stop them....and look rather unhappy with them...that was when my colleague say she dun noe why they are moving the tables. And it was impolite to anyhow move restaurant formation without informing person in charge....but...the 12 says that they told my colleague and she say ok....I know it was all a miscommunication and nobody is at fault, becos she dun understand what they are saying. They apologise becos they say how cross I looked when I see they reshuffle all the tables and as we know it was a miscommunication....I told them I will try to find them somewhere to fit 12 of them in a line....meanwhile the big group of 6....I decided to request them to shift and “give way”....but then...it will be impolite to move people in the middle of their meal....which I am stuck.....I ask them politely...and they jokingly ask if they can get a discount....I told them I am not the boss and cannot decide on such things...but seriously I would give them a round of drinks if I am the boss. I told them the round of drinks is pay a day....and I cant do that....I apologise even though I know they are joking....and says forget it....and let they continue to stay on the big seats....while I was thinking of any possibilities of joining tables to make up a 12 seaters.....suddenly....the 6 guys pick up their plates and beer glasses....and started to change over to the other seats....I am touched.....I went to thank them but I apologise again saying I wont be able to give them any discount.....along the way...the guys ordered a few rounds of drinks and ask me the if they get rounds of free drinks and I rejected them politely. Especially when my boss is back...then....at the very end...their last round of drinks...I hold the order and put it in my pocket....I gave them a round of last drinks....which is about a 10% discount....WITHOUT MY BOSS KNOWING IT!..They paid without knowing that I gave them a free round and only left me a 40 pence tip.......I went to their table back facing my boss and whisper to the guys that the last round of drinks is on the house and sorry about moving them around.....they look confuse and ask me again as they thought I am buying them drinks....and I told them is ON THE HOUSE and NOT ON ME....which means I treat them free drink without my boss knowing....we gave one another smiles and nods....and they thank me........2 minutes later...a guy from the 6 come to me and gave me a £5 tip. They left and I smile and thank them and full of apology....

I am depress with this incident becos I feel bad when customers are not happy. Feel bad towards the 12 people...becos of the miscommunication....and I should have find out more before I look a bit angry with them and stop them.....I really feel bad and hope I did not spoil their celebration....and with that 6 guys...I hope I have more authorities in the future to gave customers rounds of drinks or discount when unpleasant situation occurs.....becos it is too silly to do things behind my boss back which is CORRECT!....and I hope I dun make their day feel weird, which they initially thought I am buying drinks for them with my own pay !.....and they probably feel bad....lol....

I like being a waitress....it makes me happy when people are happy....that is why I am depress when I din manage to handle the situation smooth enough in time...though rectify in the end...but CAN BE BETTER...definitely.

However, about this job....I am beginning to feel the pressure. That everybody is pinning on me to do things. And pinning on me to cover up for them when they made a mistake. This is the case nowadays in the restaurant. And everybody wants to learn everything but I can only teach one at a time. It is of course easier for me to do it alone but someone has to learn it...and do my job when I am not around....and this is the part I am in a dilemma...if I teach one and dun teach another...I will be unfair...but teaching all will be confusing and confuse the running of the restaurant. People should have specific duty.....so that things are not done repeatedly...or nobody do something,.....it is like a vacuum, becos 3 staff quit their job last week and create a vacuum for people to to rush in and fill up the space....and the impact is ON ME....becos I am like the tunnel for the rushing in...becos whoever rush in...have to first pass thru me.....I get angry with them occasionally nowadays which I never do in the past....and I dun like this.

081104-091105



No comments: