Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Chinese contemporary artist from China.

Painting by Yue Min Jun

Last week a few of our colleagues gathered for
a small party to bid farewell to a fellow colleague
who is going away to study.
As we are feeling cosy and nice
in the dimly lit office...
One of my colleague(from Lasalle) commented
that she do not like NAFA.
I just smile. I am proud to declare I am from NAFA.
There are things I don't like about my school as well.
Just like when she will also complain about her own school sometimes.
But she gave a reason that I cannot accept.
She said...there are too many CHINA student in NAFA.
Not that she is discriminating against them she claim..
she insisted that it is about nationalism.
I cannot keep my silence anymore and rebutted her.
There are nothing wrong with chinese student from china.
In fact, most of them are way better than us.
Then she admit..."yes they are better in techniques....but"
She is trying to argue that..they are just good in technique...
and cannot compare in terms of conceptualisation...
from what i can understand...as her arguement moves along..
I can only say..she did not realise what is going on in the global market.
Not to mention those work of art from china which fetches millions...
China Conceptual artist are now making bombastic,
radical, outrages and experimental art beyond our imagination.
And their skillful technique...is merely part of their asset.
To enable them to express.
Having impressive skill in art making is like having a good tool.
If the artist do not have essential concept about their art...
their work will only be worthy as craft.
However...if an artist over conceptualise their work...
but is not able to visually express themself..
it will then be worst then a piece of craft.
For me..
I conceptualise..yet...I am constantly reminding myself..
To improve my skill to express my concept vividly.
Finally, as someone who once studied overseas...
I realise the importance of accepting and learning from differences.
If techinique is what most singaporean artist is lacking,
then it is the best opportunity for us to learn from those
who are better then us in this area.
Disliking them...will not improve our ability.
Learning from them is my best advice.
As for concept...
honestly...singaporean artist are sometimes
too rootless to define ourself in art...
and we end up...
mostly producing "western-like" art which lacks identity.
Sadly, that is most of the case.
Look at a piece of painting from China..
you will probably know it is from china...
the moment you see it.
Their political references...their skills and craft...
is simply too distinct.
I do not like to admit myself that I am guilty of being inferior as compare to fellow chinese from china ...I am a chinese from Singapore.
Let's just say...
We still have a lot to learn from each other to be fair.

No comments: