Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Fushimi Inari Shrine

This is a visitor's advice.
Try not to go AFTER 5pm.

The travel guide says it open all day, no admission restriction.
And best to go at dusk.
True enough, sunset was lovely.
I saw the sun setting on my way UP!
you know what...
It means...it is dark now..
And I was not even halfway!
HELL!

Can you imagine you are the only person in the mountains after sunset...
It feels like the path is never ending...
You just walk and walk...
Occasionally you cross path with other people...briefly..
The freaky thing is...after the 4km walk around the mountain...
There are tiny shrine along the way where there are vending machines...
But no other human beings..
There are a lot of cats though...
And they look at you while you are walking along the paths...
I was lead into some quiet path...almost without any lights..
And I wonder if I am lost.
All signpost are in Japanese.
WHY?!!?
Don't they know there are many tourist as well!
By the way, the path is a loop and no one is suppose to be lost
if you keep walking...
But there are many 2 ways..where you have to choose...
and you will wonder if it will bring you back...or further down...

Finally...i find my way...out..
into some residential area...
And finally...saw PEOPLE...
I ask my way around and finally find my way out!!!!

It was an interesting walk...
But if there ever is a next time...
I will start early.
Perhaps at 3pm...and stop on my way down to enjoy the sunset.
And yes, those gates...are SPECTACULAR!

No comments: