Saturday, May 21, 2005

More about OCD...

Facts: blue is the fact...red is my comment.

OCD is a medical illness recognized by experts throughout the world.
OCD is the fourth most common mental illness and affects approximately 5 million people in the United States.
People with OCD are not "crazy", although they may sometimes feel that way because they are troubled by thoughts and actions that they know are inappropriate. (I dun think I am crazy..)
People with OCD are often anxious and depressed. (It is a known fact that I have cyclical depression which I enjoy...strangely)
People with OCD often believe they are the only ones who have irrational, obsessive thoughts, and are therefore often ashamed and afraid to tell anyone or to seek help. (I am not ashame of it..in fact I quite like the idea that I am not too normal...and I tell everyone..!!)
Diagnosis is delayed until these symptoms are "unmasked". (this is true...I din realise that...before)
Having OCD is not a sign of weakness or a lack of willpower in stopping the thoughts and behaviors. (Agree)
Although the exact cause is not known, experts believe that OCD may be caused by low levels of a chemical in the brain called
serotonin. (If that is the case...I might not be suffering from OCD...I have got good amount of serotonin....and eat healthily...of cos...the exact cause is not known)
OCD is a treatable disease, and effective medications and therapy techniques are available.
Sufferers can get better if they seek help and get the appropriate treatment
.


http://www.diagnose-me.com/cond/C167910.html#G744

200505

No comments: