Saturday, January 27, 2007

Too tired to bargain...

Sometimes,it is sad when buying something becomes a chore.

After so many days of travelling, it gets tired to bargain for simply everything.

For the first few weeks...it was a sense of accomplishment...to be able to slash the price by half...of whatever you buy...by now...It is plain tiring. Why can't they just have a fix price...a reasonable one whereby the local and the foreigner pays the same. A simple pair of socks...which cost $1, becomes $2 when they heard me speaking in english...do they have to do that? Or they just enjoy the part where I shake my head and walk away...before they say "ok...$1.50"...and still it is expensive. And then, one fine day you will find a stall selling the same thing, 3 for $1.

Shopping has never been more mentally agonizing than this.

As for those humble vendors, who charge me decent local rates, I make sure I went back again and again. Just like the dessert store at Hang can street...we went there twice a day for a bowl of red bean soup for 50 cents. Simply satisfying, physically and mentally.

I will remember never to go back to Cat Ba Island for a bowl of red bean soup , which is not even half as tasty but twice the price...because I am a tourist.

Aren't tourist human?

What have we done to deserve this other than the fact that we are here to spend money.

No comments: